The educational organization, “The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery,” (ASAPS), is a society made up of board certified plastic surgeons. The society’s purpose is to sponsorscientific meetings presenting the latest developments in cosmetic plastic surgery.
“The Smart Beauty Guide” was created by ASAPS to educate patients and assist in their making of informed choices when it comes to cosmetic surgery. The guide has a section for gynecomastia surgery with pertinent information on all aspects of the surgery. In preparing for gynecomastia surgery, the guide recommends the following:
- Sun tanning can increase scarring and should be avoided at least two weeks prior surgery.
- Cigarettes and all nicotine products must be stopped for a minimum of 4 weeks before surgery, nicotine is known to interfere with healing.
- All supplements and medications that thin the blood must be discontinued at least two weeks before surgery.
- Staying hydrated before and after surgery promotes healing.
- If you have any illness or infection before surgery, inform your surgeon.
- Lab tests need to be done promptly.
- If your work is labor intensive be sure to allow plenty of time off work for gynecomastia recovery.
- You will need a responsible adult to take you home after surgery and accompany you for the first 24 hours.
- Have books, movies, and a laptop available to keep you occupied while recovering.
- Get all prescriptions filled in advance.
Dr. Delgado’s Gynecomastia Booklet
As a patient of Dr. Miguel Delgado, M.D. you will receive a 40 page preoperative booklet with detailed instructions for before and after male breast reduction surgery. Included in the booklet is an extensive list of all medications and supplements that need to be avoided.
Schedule a Gynecomastia Consultation